Being Part of The Moment
Tonight at the pool, I was watching Hadley, Aubrey and Sydney swim in the pool while I relaxed in a lounger. As I sat there, I was thinking how great it is that we can spend time together at the pool. They love going to the pool. I love going to the pool. But then I wondered, will they remember these pool outings when they get older? Then it dawned on me that just because we're all at the pool together, doesn't mean there will be a memory. As a Dad, it's easy to think you're involved when you're "there". But is being there mean you're going to be part of the moment or part of the kid's memories? I don't think so. Lately I've been wondering why I have so few memories as a kid with my Father. And I think it's probably because there weren't that many times when he was part of the memory. He was there. But not engaged.
So with that thought, I jumped into the pool with Aubrey and Hadley and we played submarine. They rode on my back as I propelled myself through the water on a "not safe for floatation device". I then pretended to "dive" into the water like a submarine and the girls kept saying "again daddy", "again daddy". It was a blast. I also told Aubrey that I used to be a shark before I was a boy and when I turned into a boy, people called me "shark boy". She giggled. I told her if she didn't listen, then I might turn back to a shark at any time, and eat her. She said, "Dad, if you can turn yourself into a shark, are you God?" Of course not sweetheart. I was only kidding, I said.
Then, I spent some time in the pool with Sydney, too. She loves it when I throw her into the air. So I launched her above the pool over and over again. Each time with a bigger and better splash. And when I put her to bed tonight, I asked her what her favorite part of swimming was. She said, "you know, Daddy." I said, "throwing you up in the air at the pool, right?" She said, "yep. can you sing me a song and rub my back"?" I can only guess but I know that I'll remember this day for a long time. I hope she does, too.
So with that thought, I jumped into the pool with Aubrey and Hadley and we played submarine. They rode on my back as I propelled myself through the water on a "not safe for floatation device". I then pretended to "dive" into the water like a submarine and the girls kept saying "again daddy", "again daddy". It was a blast. I also told Aubrey that I used to be a shark before I was a boy and when I turned into a boy, people called me "shark boy". She giggled. I told her if she didn't listen, then I might turn back to a shark at any time, and eat her. She said, "Dad, if you can turn yourself into a shark, are you God?" Of course not sweetheart. I was only kidding, I said.
Then, I spent some time in the pool with Sydney, too. She loves it when I throw her into the air. So I launched her above the pool over and over again. Each time with a bigger and better splash. And when I put her to bed tonight, I asked her what her favorite part of swimming was. She said, "you know, Daddy." I said, "throwing you up in the air at the pool, right?" She said, "yep. can you sing me a song and rub my back"?" I can only guess but I know that I'll remember this day for a long time. I hope she does, too.

1 Comments:
Great Post
Post a Comment
<< Home