Thursday, September 24, 2009

Best Sports Moment Ever

I thought that KU winning the national championship was my best sports moment ever. Before that, I thought that the Cardinals winning the World Series in 2006 was my best sports moment ever. And even before that, I thought that running through the center field fence to catch a ball and throwing the ball back from the creek below to almost double up the runner on 2nd was my best sports moment ever.

But all those moments paled in comparison to watching Sydney score a goal in her soccer game last Sunday.

It's not like she hasn't scored a goal before. Or that it was a championship game. It was just the thrill of watching her elevate her game and beat the other team down the field to score the goal that got to me.

I was on the far end of the field behind our goal hoping to help our goalie a bit. I was sitting on a bench and Syd was playing midfielder. It was like watching a swarm of birds flying around a beachball from that distance because you couldn't really see the passes and player positions from field level at that distance. But I was high enough on the bench that I could see Sydney break through.

She beat their defenders past the goal and gave the ball a huge kick over the goalies head. The ball busted through the back of the net and we went up 2 to 1.

I yelled "Yesssss, Way to go Syd!!!!" and jumped off the bench running toward that end of the goal. I think the other parents probably thought I had placed a huge bet on the game and won big time. The entire team hugged Sydney, gave her high fives and she ran off the field with a big smile.

Wow. Still gives me chills.

Way to go Syd :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home